Christmas books - Angie Lewin

I thought I'd feature another one of my christmas books - this time a fabulous Angie Lewin book called Plants & Places I received as a gift from my sister.  Anyone who's a regular to my blog will know I'm a big fan of Angie Lewin's gorgeous linocuts and wood engravings - so this book is a lovely addition to my collection of her work. 
Preparatory drawing for linocut The Moonlit Cup
The book Plants & Places is a beautiful collection of images showcasing Angie Lewin's work, the inspiration behind many of her prints and themes, and the making process behind the artworks.
Poster for Salthouse on the Scenic North Norfolk Coast and cutting the lino block for the poster above.
Angie Lewin's work mainly focuses on native plants, wild grasses and seedpods found along the English coastline, local woodlands, hedgerows and meadows, and the rivers and lochs of Scotland.  Makes me quite homesick!
Alliums
The book also showcases many of Angie's watercolour illustrations - mostly created as initial studies for print designs, but I think they are just beautiful in their own right.  Some of my favourites (below and bottom) feature old china and cups from the 40's and 50's, including some ceramic designs by Eric Ravilious for Wedgwood.
Winter Persephone
The 1953 Coronation Mug (Design of mug by Eric Ravillious for Wedgwood)
You can see other posts about Angie Lewin here, here and here

2 comments:

  1. Just amazing! What a beautiful book.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you liked the book, it does look fascinating. Love Soph x

    ReplyDelete